Posted 26 November 2014. PMN Crop News.
American Phytopathological Society’s ‘Plant Health’ App Now Even More “Mobile” in Android Format
Source: The American Phytopathological Society Press Release. www.apsnet.org
St. Paul, Minnesota (November 24, 2014)--The American Phytopathological Society’s ‘Plant Health from APS’ app, which contains the Turf MD and Tomato MD apps, is now available for Android devices, joining the iPhone and iPad versions already published in the summer of 2014.
Now nearly all mobile device users throughout the world can use the photo galleries, identification tools, decision support tools, diagnostic keys, and recommendations featured in Turf MD and Tomato MD.
What sets Turf MD and Tomato MD apart from other apps is the high quality of the information provided. Users can trust the images, features, and recommendations, which have all been peer-reviewed by university experts of turfgrass and tomato crops. The information is based on popular and trusted APS PRESS books, including the Compendium of Turfgrass Diseases, Third Edition; A Practical Guide to Turfgrass Fungicides; Tomato Health Management; and the Compendium of Tomato Diseases and Pests, Second Edition.
Turf MD is available for just $4.99. It was developed with golf course superintendents, sports turf managers, and other turf professionals in mind. It features:
• Scientifically peer-reviewed disease images
• Decision support tools, including diagnostic keys that help users to identify diseases based on turfgrass variety, temperature, and physical symptoms
• General guidelines and steps for disease identification
• Control strategies for the management of turfgrass diseases
• A directory of state turf extension resources for more information and to connect with local university specialists
• Fully downloadable content. No internet or cellular connection is needed to operate the app once it is fully downloaded
Tomato MD is available for just $2.99. This app was developed for professionals, gardeners, and hobbyists who grow tomato plants. Specific features include:
• An index of more than 35 common diseases, insects, and mites that affect tomato plants. Once the disease or pest is isolated, users can learn more about causes and sources, symptoms, management strategies, other plants that may serve as host to the pest, and more useful information
• A peer-reviewed photo gallery of insects and mites and the specific damage they cause
• A diagnostic key of tomato diseases based on physical symptoms and the location of infection, including the leaves, stem, fruit, and whole plant
• A tutorial on packing diagnostic samples for the identification of diseases, insect and mite pests, and other disorders
• An updated list of U.S. diagnostic labs where samples can be sent
A free demo app showcases the high-quality, easy-to-use features available in Turf MD and Tomato MD.
All APS ‘Plant Health’ apps are fully downloadable. Once content is downloaded, no internet or cellular connection is needed to operate them, making this trusted tool available in remote locations, where wifi access is not accessible.
Users can download and review the ‘Plant Health from APS’ app for free in the Google Play or Apple stores. Once downloaded users may individually purchase Turf MD and Tomato MD, as well as download the demo app.
Just search ‘Plant Health from APS’ in either store to get started. Or visit www.apsnet.org/apsstore/shopapspress/pages/apps.aspx to learn more.