PMN Crop News Homepage   

Posted 13 January 2009. PMN Crop News.

Pesticide Records

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Urbana-Champaign, Illinois (January 6, 2008)--This is the time of year that producers take a close look at their farm records, then evaluate and make decisions accordingly. Records for pesticide application should not be overlooked. As a reminder, certified pesticide applicators are required to keep records of applications of federally restricted-use pesticides (RUPs).


These records are required under the 1990 Farm Bill. Any form to record RUPs is acceptable as long as the required information is included.

Federal regulations state that all certified private applicators (those that apply pesticides to their own land) record RUP applications no later than 14 days following the application. These records must be maintained for two years. Records must include the following information:

Brand or product name and EPA registration number (shown on the label)

Total amount applied

Location of the application

Size of the area treated

Crop, commodity, stored product, or site to which a RUP was applied

Month, day, and year of the application

Name and certification number of the certified applicator who applied or who supervised the application of the RUP

Although not required in Illinois, it is a good idea to record on-site wind direction and speed during the application. Wind speed indicators are available from several sources at a variety of prices.

Spot applications, where a RUP is applied to an area less than one-tenth of an acre, require less stringent records. In this case, only the brand or product name and registration number, total amount applied, location, and date must be recorded.

Commercial applicators in Illinois have been required to maintain record keeping since 1988 under the Illinois Pesticide Act. The Act requires them to furnish a copy of either the state or federally required records to the customer within 30 days of the RUP application.

For more information, including a list of RUPs, contact your University of Illinois Extension office or the Illinois Department of Agriculture in Springfield at 1-800-641-3934. Another reference is the University of Illinois Extension Pesticide Safety Education Program web site,

Jim Morrison