PMN Crop News Homepage   



Posted 23 July 2012. PMN Crop News.


Syngenta Receives EPA Registration for Two Convenient Refuge in a Bag Trait Stacks Featuring Top-Performing Insect Control


Source: Syngenta Crop Protection-US Press Release. www.syngentacropprotection.com


Minnetonka, Minnesota (July 3, 2012)--Syngenta, the global leader in corn insect control technology, announced today that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has granted registration for two refuge in a bag products, Agrisure Viptera® 3220 E-Z Refuge trait stack and Agrisure® 3122 E-Z Refuge trait stack. The two seed products feature a 5 percent blended refuge in the bag for Midwestern corn growers as well as multiple modes of action for corn insect control.

 

“We are excited to announce EPA registration of these two refuge in a bag products,” said Jill Wenzel, Syngenta product lead, commercial traits. “Refuge in a bag delivers the utmost convenience for farmers, allowing them to more easily comply with refuge requirements while helping manage against the development of resistant insects with multiple modes of action.”

Agrisure Viptera 3220 E-Z Refuge trait stack is a targeted solution for corn growers in geographies where corn rootworm management is not a primary concern. Each package will contain 95 percent seed of a corn hybrid containing the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait stack, which offers dual modes of action for control of multiple above-ground lepidopteran pests and corn borer, and features the breakthrough Agrisure Viptera trait. The remaining 5 percent will be seed of a hybrid without insect control traits. This blend enables growers to meet their refuge requirements as specified by the EPA for managing insect resistance. Both seed hybrids in the bag will feature tolerance to glyphosate herbicides. Growers desiring to plant Agrisure Viptera 3220 E-Z Refuge in cotton-growing regions will need to plant a supplemental 20 percent refuge.

Hybrids with the Agrisure 3122 E-Z Refuge trait stack are intended for use in areas where both corn rootworm and lepidopteran pest management are primary concerns, including corn-on-corn acres. Each package will contain 95 percent seed of a corn hybrid containing the Agrisure 3122 trait stack, which features dual modes of action against both corn borer and corn rootworm. The remaining 5 percent of seed will be a hybrid without insect control traits but with glyphosate tolerance. Growers desiring to plant Agrisure 3122 E-Z Refuge in cotton-growing regions will need to plant a supplemental 20 percent refuge.

Trial results have proven the valuable control offered by the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait stack and the Agrisure 3122 trait stack. Results from multiple 2010 and 2011 regulated Syngenta trial locations showed that hybrids containing the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait stack had more than 85 percent fewer ears damaged by corn earworm versus those without the Agrisure Viptera trait. 2011 trial results showed that the Agrisure 3122 trait stack offers improved root protection. In seven high corn rootworm pressure trials, hybrids containing the Agrisure 3122 trait stack had a 0.1 root rating on the Iowa State University (ISU) scale, while hybrids containing a trait stack without a rootworm trait had a 1.6 ISU root rating.

Agrisure E-Z Refuge products will be available from Syngenta's Garst®, Golden Harvest® and NK® seed brands.


Contact:
Lisa Martin
919-870-5718
lmartin@gibbs-soell.com